Have you examined your skin carefully in the past few days? Perhaps you are too busy with your daily routines and responsibilities. Well, you should certainly take a second look, especially if you have been spending long hours outdoors in the sun or have been cruising in your honeymoon. Moreover, it is time to be more careful with the summers approaching fast.
While we long to go out on sunny days, especially after the long dark winters, one should not forget the damaging effects of the sun. Excessive exposure to the sun can lead to tanning and even sunburn. Sun rays can damage the collagen and lower the skin elasticity and thus encourage the formation of wrinkles. What you can do is take regular care of your skin and keep it safe and protected from the harmful effects of the sun.
Here is how to follow a special after sun care for your skin.
- Wear shades, hats, and protective clothing to get maximum protection from direct sunlight. Avoid going out when the sun’s rays are the most intense, and always find some shaded place.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen every day, and make sure that the product is effective and carries a higher SPF number and protects against both UVA and UVB radiation. The SPF you choose should be at least 30 and should be water-resistant.
- Moisturize with body butter which carries vitamin C and promotes collagen production. It is best to go with quality products from reputed brands with powerful antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties. Thick creamy formula works best when it comes to moisturizing the skin.
- As a special tip, look for coconut oil with vitamin E content as it also offers a cooling effect for the skin. The oil can easily seep into the deeper skin layers and is highly recommended for those with dry and chapped skin on their faces and lips.
- Drink lots of water to keep your body and skin well hydrated. Avoid carbonated and caffeinated drinks and prefer cool fresh drinks based on fresh vegetables and fruits. If your skin is well hydrated from within, it will look fresh and healthy from the outside.
- Avoid harsh products that can irritate the skin and are clear of ingredients like retinoic acid, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acids, and acne-fighting products. Those products and creams can dry out the skin much faster and potentially irritate the skin.
- Some of the most popular products with natural skincare ingredients include aloe vera, vitamin C, chamomile, and green tea. These products are preferred in after-sun care regimens because of their cooling and moisturizing effects. Moreover, as they carry potent antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties, they can limit any damage from UVA and UVB rays and boost collagen production.
Just follow the above essential and basic tips to protect your skin from the harsh rays of the sun. Browse the markets to find the right products and prepare well ahead before the summers arrive in full force. As they say, prevention is always better than cure!