Cantilever racking systems are a great solution for products that are long or awkward in nature. They offer an effective method of storing different types of material such as light poles, posts and prefab uprights.
It is a versatile storage solution that can be modified to accommodate several light-weight and heavy-weight inventory.
What is cantilever racking?
Cantilever racking is a warehouse storage system that is designed to create efficiency in the storage of bulky items that can’t be easily stored through pallet systems. One advantage of the cantilever is that it allows inventory to be piled in a horizontal manner on tailor-made cantilever arms. The arms can only be accessed by forklifts or manually by warehouse personnel.
A cantilever is available in two categories – single-sided (where the racking system is placed in front of a wall) and the double system that makes it possible for someone to access it both from the back and in front. Its versatile nature makes it easy for cantilever arms to be recreated to adapt to a variety of items.
Important things to note about cantilever racing
The cantilever racking system consists of major elements namely; supporters, the uprights (pots) and the base. In most cases, the base is made from a heavy steel material for the stability purposes of the racking structure.
On the other hand, the racking arms constitute the storage shelves that are designed to support very heavy loads.
How do cantilever racking systems work?
Most businesses love using cantilever racking systems because of their ability to store heavy and unproportioned items. Products are stored in a horizontal manner on the racking arms using forklift tracks or crane systems.
There are many companies that have rich industry experience in installing perfect shelves. In case your business deals with heavy materials, then it would be appropriate to seek help from one of the leading companies in your state.
The company will come and assess your warehouse, take measurements and decide which type of cantilever racking system to install at your premise.
The good thing about specialists is that they can deal with different types of heavy material and can help prevent financial loss as well as injury. That is why it is important to carefully choose a company that is not only credible but also experienced to install your cantilever system.
Besides that, your warehouse personnel should also be trained on how to handle the cantilever system.
Merits of the cantilever racking system
- It is easy to install and dismantle. This is one of the biggest advantages of cantilever racking systems. Despite the fact that they appear complex in shape, it is easy to install and dismantle the racks.
- They can be adjusted. Another advantage of cantilevers is that the arms can easily be adjusted to accommodate different types of items in the warehouse. This simply means that you can store almost any type of item in your warehouse.
- It has both single and double-sided variance that can be switched back and forth to create space and accommodate products.
- It can be installed to hold items that are up to 10 meters high.
Demerits of cantilever racking system
Although cantilever racking has several advantages, there are also a number of disadvantages that come with it. Below are some of the disadvantages:
- The initial cost of setting up a cantilever racking system is very high compared to other simpler racking systems.
- Handling of material in a cantilever racking system is not easy. One requires a forklift or two to handle heavy loads as well as loaders to facilitate the whole process.
- It is not efficient when it comes to storing pallets and large items together.
- Significant space is needed between isles to give space for forklifts or other loading materials.
Do you really need a cantilever racking system in your warehouse?
Generally, cantilever racking systems are effective for storing large and awkwardly shaped items. If your business deals with large materials that require constant storage before use or sale, then you will probably need a cantilever racking system.
On the other hand, if your business doesn’t deal with large items, then a pallet rack system will be the most ideal. It is therefore important to talk to experts to ensure safety in our warehouse.