Electrical materials are essential for power sources in the construction of buildings, offices and homes. The purpose of these materials is to protect your home from any possible damage and destruction that could happen. It could also control the flow of electric current in an electric circuit and carry electrical current from the source to the current-consuming apparatus.
That is why it is very important to buy the necessary materials at an electrical supply store to ensure the safety of your homes and workplace. A lot of electrical supplies are needed for construction, such as circuit breakers, utility box, switch plates, and fuse panel, which plays a big role in providing us with an assurance of a safe home.
It is a device that acts as a convenient source of electrical energy for currently consuming appliances. It is where an appliance’s male plug is inserted, which is usually fastened on walls connected to an extension cord. Maybe in single, double, triple and multiplex types.
This device is open and uncovered. That is inserted into a convenience outlet to conduct electric current. A flat cord is attached on one end while the other is connected to a current instrument or appliance.
This device holds and protects lamps called lamp sockets/receptacles, primarily used in light fittings or luminaires. In buying a lamp holder, it is vital that it is compatible with the bulb. If not, heat from the bulb may melt the lamp holder, which may lead to property fires.
TYPES OF LAMP HOLDERS:
– Halogen Lamp Holders – for halogen lamps
– Metal Halide Lamp Holders – for metal halide lamps that are three to five times greater than incandescent lamps.
– Medium Base Lamp Holders – for screw base bulb types
– Mogul Base Lamp Holders – used for mogul base lamps
– Fluorescent Lamp Holders – designed for fluorescent bulbs
– Compact Fluorescent Lamp Holders – these are the specialized fluorescent lamps that resemble
to a medium base light bulb in size and base
– Bayonet Base Lamp Holders – it accommodates bayonet lamps
– Wedge Base Lamp Holders – these are used for smaller low wattage light bulbs like in string
This gadget is used to intrude the progression of electrons on a circuit. Also, it connects and disconnects the flow of electric current.
ADVANTAGES OF SWITCH:
– Increases Capacity
– Reduces Burden
– Increment Presentation
– Fewer Frame Collisions
– Less Casing Impact
– More Secure
This makes the wire easy to access by only removing the covering of the box to make alterations and repairs. It is where the joints of wires are being done and also is where the flush-type lamp holder is attached. This box also protects the wires from the environment or elements that can be corrosive/harmful to wiring material. It is usually made of a plastic called polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or metal.
A fuse protects against excessive currents that can flow in a circuit during short circuits. Also, it is a circuit device that automatically cuts the current when an overload and short circuit happens.
ADVANTAGES OF FUSE:
– It is the cheapest type of protection in an electrical circuit
– Its operation is simple and not complex
– Has the ability to interrupt an enormous short circuit
– Zero maintenance
– Affords current limiting effect under short circuit conditions
– Has the ability to interrupt enormous short current without producing flame, gas or smoke
– Its inverse time-current characteristic is used for overload protection
These boxes are used for convenience outlets, small junctions or switch boxes.
It is made of plastic (PVC) or metal with a rectangular shape where flush-type convenience outlets and switches are attached.
It is a protective device that automatically disrupts and cuts the current trouble in the circuit, such as overload or short circuits. This device can prevent and defend against any damage to electronics, your home, appliances, buildings, schools, industries etc.
BENEFITS OF CIRCUIT BREAKERS:
-Are more sensitive
-Circuit breaker can be reset, unlike fuses
-Responds quicker than fuses
TYPES OF CIRCUIT BREAKERS:
-Residual Current Circuit Breaker (RCCB) – works by comparing the current entering the appliance via live wire with the current leaving the neutral wire
-Miniature Circuit Breaker(MCB) – breaks contact via a latch mechanism, and when the current exceeds the circuit rating, it breaks the electrical contacts
It is a standard duplex wire used for temporary wiring installation and is commonly used in an extension cord. It also provides a set of attributes that can solve many design challenges.
BENEFITS OF FLAT CABLE:
– Highest Flexibility – more flexible than round cords
– Supple Jacketing – it improves the flexibility of the cord
– Conductor Integrity – intruding jacketing provides greater integrity by encapsulating the cable-
– Fine Base Strands – has the finest base strands which to a maximized conductor density for a given volume
This electrical material is used to carry electrical currents. It could be a stranded wire which is a single wire made of multiple strands that are joined together. While the other is a solid wire that is made of a single strand of copper and wire, which are used in wiring installations inside and outside of a building
TYPES OF ELECTRICAL WIRE:
– Triplex wires – are used in single drop conductors as a common neutral
– Panel feeder wires – are used to power the central junction box and the circuit breaker
– Non-metallic sheathed wires – are used mostly in homes that have two to three conductors
– Single strand wires – are a popular choice for layouts that use pipes to contain wires
– Main feeder wires – these are wires that connect the service wire head to the house
It is where the cables are enclosed in metal, plastic, or fibre tubes. Its purpose is to protect and provide a path for electrical wiring in a building or a structure.
ADVANTAGE OF CONDUITS:
– Has long life
– Good appearance
– It is a waterproof wiring system
– Will not support combustion
– No chance of fire
– Protects against moisture in the atmosphere
– Protects against chemicals
– Damage to cable can be replaced easily
– Maintenance is easy
They are tools that hold work securely in place and are used in many applications like carpentry, furniture making, welding, construction and metalworking. These clamps have various types, such as one-handed bar clamps, screws, spring clamps, and c-clamps.
TYPES OF CLAMPS:
– Bar clamp – used for woodwork for holding edges when glueing
– Hand screw clamp – used to hold small pieces together
– C- clamp – used for welding, cutting and carpentry
– U-type clamp – used when conduit needs to be installed perpendicularly
Using these electrical materials/tools makes your work quicker, more convenient and simpler. Also, it could protect appliances and buildings from any possible destruction and damage.