Cannabidiol or CBD is arguably the hottest wellness commodity of the decade. CBD is an extract of the cannabis plant and is known to be effective for reducing anxiety and depression, relieving pain, and alleviating cancer-related symptoms, epilepsy, and other neurological disorders.
What is CBD?
CBD or Cannabidiol is naturally found in the cannabis plant. Consumption of CBD oils does not produce any high effects or intoxication even though it may come from marijuana.
The endocannabinoid system of the body has two receptors that deal with cannabinoids: CB1 and CB2. While a majority of our CB1 receptors are situated in the brain and are connected to cognitive functions relating to mood changes, appetite, and memory, CB2 receptors are found in the immune system. That said, consumption of CBD affects our mood, susceptibility to sensations of pain, and sensitivity to inflammation because it influences the endocannabinoid receptors in the body.
Benefits of CBD
Gives Pain Relief – CBD consumption affects the endocannabinoid system, therefore relieving pain and influencing various functions of the body such as appetite, sleep, and immune function. Top rated CBD oils have been found to relieve pain caused by arthritis, muscle pain, spinal cord injuries, and other chronic pain conditions.
- Reduces Anxiety and Depression – Mental health disorders such as anxiety and depression are very common these days. These are generally remedied with pharmaceutical drugs that have multiple side effects like insomnia, dizziness, headache, and sexual dysfunction, among others. On the other hand, CBD oils have been proven to be a great natural approach to treat such mental disorders. As previously mentioned, it’s particularly popular among those who suffer from anxiety, insomnia, and depression.
- Helps Reduce Acne – A number of tests have verified the ability of CBD oils to prevent the secretion of too much sebum which causes acne. CBD may be an efficient and easy way to treat acne problems because of that. What’s more, it has anti-inflammatory properties that could help prevent breakouts. Before using CBD oils to solve your acne problems, it is always advisable that you consult a dermatologist.
- Has Neuroprotective Qualities – Studies have shown that CBD oils have the potential to significantly improved the conditions of people suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and Dravet syndrome.
- Improves Cancer-related Symptoms – The National Cancer Institute states that the use of CBD oil may help in preventing the growth of cancer cells. However, note that they don’t fully approve the use of CBD oil as a cancer treatment just yet.
Different CBD Products
- CBD Oils – There are three variations of tested CBD oils, namely, CBD isolate oil, full-spectrum CBD oil, and broad-spectrum CBD oil. CBD isolate oils are the most concentrated form of CBD oil. They usually contain CBD and a carrier oil. The full spectrum variant, meanwhile, contains vitamins, cannabinoids, and healthy fats that are naturally found in hemp. It also contains THC. Lastly, broad-spectrum CBD oils contain what full-spectrum oils have, but without the THC component.
- CBD Gummies – CBD edibles are becoming very popular these days. CBD gummies come in different quantities and formulations. They are sweet and easy to consume, which is great for people who are always on the go.
- CBD Capsules – Just like CBD gummies, CBD capsules are also easy to consume. Made using powdered CBD inside a capsule covering, CBD capsules are great if you want to precisely track how much CBD you’re consuming.
- CBD Topicals – You can get CBD topicals in different forms, such as lotions, creams, wax, gels, and in different skin and hair care products. Lots of people who use CBD to treat acne use CBD-infused serums and moisturizers.
Factors to consider when shopping for CBD products
Concentration and strength
|STRENGTH||DOSE OF CBD OIL||Good For|
|Low Strength||Less than 100-400mg||
Depending on the formula, some CBD oils contain organic hempseed oil, coconut oil, essential oils, organic MCT oil, and vitamin E oil.
A 1000mg bottle of CBD costs approximately 100-200 USD depending on the brand.
CBD oils are meant to be used sublingually. As such, many manufacturers incorporate flavors into their products. A lot of people simply can’t stand the naturally earthy taste of CBD, so flavors are a must. Common ones include lemon, strawberry, mint chocolate, watermelon, orange, peppermint, vanilla, mocha, lime, coconut, and cinnamon.
Of course, unflavored and fragrance-free options are available, too.
To conclude, CBD is naturally a safe product. If CBD is legal in your country, then you can purchase any CBD oils, creams, gummies, and capsules freely. Thorough research is a must if you want to minimize untoward reactions while maximizing your results.