You have probably heard people talking a lot about positive affirmations – and how engaging in a daily practice helps them to feel happier, more relaxed and more optimistic about the future. You will be interested to know that – at a fundamental level – positive affirmations actually tap into one of the most well regarded, evidence-based techniques in Psychology – known as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, or CBT. CBT works on the idea that our thoughts, and the stories we tell ourselves, affect our behavior more than anything else. Although CBT involves a lot of other things, such as behavioral therapy and psychoeducation, it is useful to remember that research has proven that how we talk to ourselves has a huge impact on how we feel. Being aware of this, and bringing in positivity to our daily thought process, is likely to help us feel better.
Here are some powerful affirmations that you can use in your day to day life – try this for a few days and see for yourself how things change:
If you want to improve your relationship with yourself….
- I believe in myself
- I love myself
- I am enough
- I am true to who I am, no matter who approves or disapproves of me
- Today, I will choose to be kind to myself and love myself unconditionally
If you are looking for some support at work…
- I am worthy of achievement, and deserving of what I have accomplished
- I am allowed to make mistakes. My mistakes do not define me
- I will ask for help when I need it. Even if I do not want it
- I am doing my best, and that is enough. My best is all that I can do
If you’re wanting affirmations for romance…
- I am worthy of giving and receiving love
- I am loved, loving and loveable
- I welcome love and romance in my life
- I am grateful for the love that exists in my life
If you want some affirmations for your other relationships.
- Though I cannot control others’ reactions, I am in control of how I react to others
- We have a healthy, strong and loving relationship that is always improving
- I take family drama in stride and focus on our love for each other instead
- I will always be here to support you, and I know that you will always support me
Remember, our thoughts have a major impact on how we feel and behave. The more positivity and support that we can bring in, the better.