When you’re new to writing it’s not uncommon to find it difficult to find the right words, say what you want to say and engage your audience. It’s difficult to come up with new and original ideas when you need to write an essay for example as creative writing is a niche in itself. Creative writing does require you to have a different set of skills to standard academic writing.
Creative Essay Writing Explained
We will now try to explain how creative writing is different from the technical, academic and journalistic style of writing. Non-fiction writing is based on facts that are real. With journalistic or technical writing, this aims to inform the reader. When it comes to creative writing the goal of this is to entertain the audience by using the same literary tools that fiction writing does i.e. setting, tone and character development. This means that an essay has to be written so that it uses particular techniques and reads like a piece of fiction would read.
How to Find Topics for Creative Essay Writing
If you’re struggling to find a good topic for your creative essay then take a look at the following tips borrowed from experts at professional custom essay writing service – reliable and legitimate:
- First of all, have a think about the plot of something that’s gone viral online
- .Have a think about a person of the significance of a fictional character and what you would talk about with them if you got to spend some time with them.
- Consider what you think is the most important event/moment in human history.
- Discuss something that has changed the way you view and understand the world.
Points to Consider Before Writing a Creative Essay
Before you go about writing a creative essay you need to make sure that you’ve done your planning. In fact, the process of writing a creative essay begins long before you sit at a laptop or with a pen and paper. As much as it’s about letting your imagination run free, you still need to make sure that you follow some guidelines so that you remain on track. So, before you start writing, consider the below:
- Be confident about the topic that you have picked and make sure it’s something that you enjoy writing about. The beauty of writing a creative essay is that you have a lot of freedom, however, this can also then become confusing. Therefore, carefully consider the topic that you have chosen and make sure that you have something relevant to write about on the topic.
- Carefully think about your reader. Ask yourself questions such as who your reader is and how you will try to keep them interested in what you’re writing. This information will help you to decide what language to use in order to get your message across in your creative essay.
- Make notes and write down any ideas that you have, even if your ideas don’t really make much sense. When you begin writing you’ll soon be able to combine ideas together so that they begin to make more sense.
How to Write a Creative Essay from Scratch
Follow these steps to become a creative writer:
- The first aspect to consider is brainstorming your ideas. One way of doing this is by creating a mind map and this way you will be able to spot any links between your main points.
Spend time researching your topics so that you can collate lots of information that is relevant.
- Head online and look for statistics and facts that are interesting which will help to support your key points.
- Create an outline of your essay and then consider how you will structure your essay. You will need an introduction, the main body, and a conclusion.
- When you begin to write your essay you will need to begin with something that grabs the reader’s attention. For example, this could be an interesting fact, a question or a surprising statistic.
- When it comes to the main body you will need to write a paragraph, which discusses each of your key ideas. Provide examples which back up your points and make sure you add details and explain yourself clearly.
- For your conclusion, you need to summarise your ideas.
- You will need to revise your first draft and amend it to improve it until you are completely satisfied with what you have created.
- You will also need to edit your essay. Check your choice of words, the way the essay flows and remove any repetitive wordings. Your essay needs to be clear as well as concise.
- When you have reached the final draft stage you will need to proofread it. Check all spellings, grammar, and punctuation and also look for typos. Your job is to now to perfect and polish your essay.
- Finally, now that your essay has been written, it is time to think of a good title for your essay to complete it.
Coming up with Creative Titles
For a creative essay it is crucial to have a strong and imaginative title; this way you will catch the attention of your reader from the offset. For some tips on how to come up with a creative title for your essay continue reading:
- You want to impress your reader from the start so make sure that you choose a catchy title.
- Use three words to summarise your essay and then expand on this to create a phrase for your title.
- Consider using the main idea of your essay for your title. Try and phrase it in a way so that your reader will find it interesting.
- Use a quote for your title. Make sure the quote that you use is catchy yet powerful.
By following these tips you are well on the way to creating a catchy title which will help your essay to become outstanding.