Wearing medical glasses is not as easy as it looks. Have you ever tried walking in the rain while wearing glasses? Drunk hot chocolate with your glasses on? Lost your contact lenses at least once in your bathroom sink? If so, then you can attest to the struggles that come along with poor eyesight.
With the evolvement of eye surgery procedures, people are turning to laser vision correction procedures to help them improve their eyesight. The fear of the unknown can trigger confusing emotions, let alone deciding to undergo eye surgery. Being well informed before opting to undertake any eye surgery is very crucial for any patient- after all, you do not want to blame yourself when things go haywire.
Here are a few things you ought to familiarize yourself with before taking the bold move;
What is Lasik Surgery?
Lasik surgery also known as laser eye correction is a refractive surgery that permanently alters the shape of the cornea. It eliminates the dependence of glasses and contact lenses to your journey to perfect eyesight. There have been a lot of testimonials on the effectiveness of Lasik Long Island surgeons who provide top-notch services to their patients giving them back their ideal sight.
How To Know You Need Lasik Or Any Other Type Of Vision Correction Procedure
Having eye problems can be a significant source of stress in your day to day life making it quite difficult to run errands as expected. Some of the symptoms that may show you need eye surgery include short-sightedness (myopia), long-sightedness (hyperopia), astigmatism (causes blurry visions) and increased light sensitiveness among others. Cataracts being a common eye problem, early detection can save you from a lot of hustle. Eye surgeons who offer Cataract Surgery Long Island, will enable you to gauge the progression degree of cataracts and deal with it due time.
Qualifications For Lasik Surgery
It is crucial to know precisely why you need Lasik surgery. Is it worth it? Remember, as much as there are many success stories; there are no guarantees. Below are a few other facts you need to know;
1. You must be at least 18 years of age
2. If you are a new mum who is breastfeeding, pregnant or planning to be pregnant, then it is not advisable to get the eye correction surgery. The shift of one’s hormones may significantly affect the results of the procedure.
3. Choosing a surgeon- You need to find a surgeon that has enough experience and is board certified. Do proper research before engaging any surgeon, get referrals from people who have undergone the same procedure as it will give you an insight of what to expect. Find one that you can openly communicate with as he/she is the person who will guide you through the whole treatment process and during your recovery.
4. Inquire about your refractive error. The possibilities of a repeat procedure (refinements) entirely depend on how severe your eyesight is; the worse it is, the more chances you will need refinements.
5. Like any other surgery, some risks come along with eye surgery. Do your research and engage your surgeon as much as possible to get to know the expected risks that may arise from the Lasik surgery.