Your wedding dress really is the dress, it’s one of the most stressful, rewarding, expensive and sentimental pieces that will ever grace your wardrobe. Needless to say, it’s kind of a big deal. So, when your big day is fast approaching, and the time comes to start your hunt for the most perfect dress that will make you feel like your most beautiful self, it can be overwhelming. The key to finding the perfect wedding dress is knowing just what style you want! Shopping for a dress within a style category (yes, there are categories that go a little deeper than “bridal”) makes the whole process that little bit easier. Your wedding dress style options are:
- Ball gown: The ball gown, or the princess cut, is one of the most quintessential bridal gown shapes out there. These have a fitted bodice, which is usually detailed with lace or embellished with crystals or patterned stitching. When the bodice ends, the full skirt begins, a ball gown skirt will be pretty dramatic and very full, made from layers of tulle. An unlined tulle is a very common material for the skirt, however, you can find dresses with satin, lace or silk skirts.
- Sheath: This is a sleek, curve-skimming silhouette which fits you closely all the way to the ground. The sheath shape is elegant, graceful and very easy to move in (did somebody say after party?) This dress is best for brides who want a subtle yet gorgeous dress that isn’t restrictive, or too high maintenance.
- A-line: A-line dresses are a little bit of magic. The shape naturally flatters your neckline and chest, accentuates and minimizes your waist and then gradually flows to the floor, making you look graceful, gorgeous and perfectly hourglass. This cut is somewhere between the sheath and the ball gown, with all the drama of a flowing skirt, the convenience of less material, and amazingly flattering features, it’s hard to go wrong with A-line.
- Mermaid: The mermaid, or fishtail, style is very popular and on-trend. This dress fits your body closely all the way down to your lower calf and then it fans out, just like a mermaid! This cut is great for brides who want to show off their figure, feel sexy and look unique. Mermaid dresses look best in lux lace or silk.
- Long Sleeve: Long sleeve wedding dresses are perfect for winter weddings or for brides who want to hide their arms. It’s the classic wedding dress shape, and the contemporary take on long sleeve styles is interesting, sexy and sophisticated! Look for sleeves with sheer panels, lace detailing or embroidered patterns to take the silhouette to the next level. You can always show off a little skin elsewhere with a plunging neckline or a low back cut!
- Strapless: Strapless cuts are a bridal classic and they’re great for summer or beachy weddings! You can find sweetheart, V-neck or straight cut strapless dresses, pick whichever makes you feel the most confident and beautiful! The strapless gown usually accompanies the mermaid and A-line fit options best.
- Mini: The mini wedding dress is definitely less widespread than the traditional maxi or the less featured midi, but that’s not to say it isn’t a stunning option! Mini wedding dresses are perfect for casual ceremonies that feel much more laid back than the traditional “Big White Wedding”, so they are perfect for a chilled-out bride! You can find all kinds of mini wedding dresses that will fit perfectly, look for shift, A-line or slip styles to radiate beauty on your special day!
These wedding dress styles will guide you when it comes to shopping for, and eventually choosing, your wedding dress! Happy hunting! Remember, wedding dresses should make you feel radiant and beautiful, don’t settle for anything less!