If you follow the feeds of Nomadific Instagram users, you might be made to believe that, their life is bliss. You see beautiful people in epic sunset with perfectly highlighted features that show that they are having the fun of their lives as they work. You might see a picture of a digital nomad reclining in a hammock and holding a laptop as they sip on their favorite drink.
But as it is the norm, most people will only show the positive side of what they are doing when it comes to Instagram and thus, the pictures don’t tell the entire story. Just like with other things, the life of a digital nomad has its downsides. So while there might be a lot of positivity in it, it is important that you know the disadvantages so that you make an informed decision.
If you want to become a digital nomad, consider the following downside and find out if you will be able to adapt to them. And if you are already one, just know that your struggles are normal.
- You Might Become Homesick: When most of the times you are away from home, you are likely going to be homesick. Apart from missing friends and family, you will miss the comfort at home where you understand the simple things as well as the language. In most instances, in the beginning when in a place that is extremely new are normally thrilling, but when the novelty wears off, you start to miss the surroundings and people whom you left behind. If you can afford it, you can always fly back home frequently.
- You Will Miss On Stuff Happening At Home: When you move away from home, chances are that you will miss out on important celebrations and events at home. It might be expensive for you to fly back home for every event happening if you are hopping around the world.
- Naysayers Will Definitely Question Your Choices In Life: When you work online from whatever corner of the world that the work comes from is not a choice which is conventional and some people especially the ones in the older generation cap might feel uncomfortable with what you are doing to earn a living.
- For some reason, there are choices in life which will definitely invite criticism and working in a creative field and long term travel are two of them. But while it is important that you have the approval of those around you, remember that each individual has their own perspective of life.
- There Are Times When You Will Have Bad Travel Days: If you have ever been bitten by the travel bug, then you know the joy that comes with exploring new places. But traveling from one place to the next is not everyone’s cup of tea as it is not always smooth sailing.
There are times when you will encounter canceled or delayed traveling schedules or even end up on a bus that is crowded that doesn’t have a basic air conditioner when the days are hot. Brace yourself for the worst.